October 5, 2022

The Usa Herald

A fresh, short and direct way to receive the news.

After water, ¿what are the most hydrating drinks?

3 min read

Water is the best option for adequate and healthy hydration, although it is also true that other drinks can be used as a second option, although to a lesser extent.

With the arrival of high temperatures and the heat of summer, “the loss of fluids from the body increases and, therefore, the recommendations for hydration increase,” highlights specialists in nutrition and health.

Do not forget that water is the main component of the body. They play a very important role in functioning as a thermoregulator (maintains our body temperature), is actively involved in the physiological processes of digestion, absorption and elimination of metabolic waste and maintains vital body functions.

Although many times drinking only water can be a bit annoying, what other drinks are refreshing and help to reach adequate levels of hydration? Let’s start with those that do not contribute at all to quench thirst and, in addition, can be harmful to health.

On a hot day, some people consider that there is nothing better than a cold beer to quench their thirst. The initial sensation goes in that direction, but in the long run the opposite effect occurs. The dietitians-nutritionists explain why, “Beer does not quench thirst, since alcoholic beverages cause dehydration due to their diuretic effect. If we add high temperatures to beer consumption, the possibility of entering a dehydration process increases.”

 

There is no healthy consumption regarding alcoholic beverages, to which we must add that they are not a good option for hydration. Alcohol inhibits the activation of antidiuretic hormone, favoring diuresis; that is to say, that we urinate more frequently, lose more liquid when doing so and become dehydrated”. In fact, “one of the effects of the famous hangover is dehydration, add health specialists.

 

Other drinks not recommended

Sweetened or sugary drinks, fruit juices, energy drinks, liquid concentrates, powdered concentrates, coffee, tea and all of them contain simple sugars and do not help hydration. In addition, its constant consumption increases the possibility of being overweight and favors the risk of diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and cavities.

Excessive consumption of beverages with a high caffeine content increases diuresis, so they do not help hydration either.

 

Alternatives to drink something other than water

The drinks that can serve to break the monotony and ingest something different have a purely water base.

A good alternative is to consume only milk. In addition, infusions, as well as water to which some sugar-free ingredient is added and gives it a pleasant flavor, such as mint leaves, lemon rind, cucumber slices. And that’s pretty much it. The rest of the drinks contain too much sugar or are alcoholic.

As a complement are fruits and vegetables, such as melon, watermelon, peach, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, among others, all of which have a high water content, so their consumption during periods of high temperatures can help maintain good hydration and avoid feeling thirsty.

To maintain or recover the necessary amount, approximately 80% must be provided through water, and the remaining 20% ​​with other drinks or foods rich in water, such as fruits, vegetables, infusions, broths, milk, since the Liquid represents approximately 70% of our body weight.

 

Tips for good hydration

Clearly, to quench thirst in summer and hydrate properly, they must always go hand in hand. To ensure both, just follow these simple recommendations:

  • Drink between 1.5 and 2 liters a day of liquid (preferably water) to compensate for losses from sweat and urine.

 

  • Drink fluids before you feel thirsty. The mechanism of thirst is a stimulus that appears when we are already below the adequate level of hydration.

 

  • With high temperatures above 30ºC and higher environmental humidity, the loss of water is greater, so consumption will have to be increased.

 

  • For light to moderate intensity exercise it is recommended to drink 150-250 cc of water every 20 minutes from the start. After 30 minutes of exercise, rehydration is essential.

 

  • In order to make the most of its moisturizing power, the temperature of the water should not be lower than 10-15º C.

It is considered that from an early age we should stimulate and educate the little ones so that water is their main drink, both during and outside of meals, instead of sugary drinks, which will help prevent childhood obesity and promote some good habits. Published by The USA Herald, news and information agency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © All rights reserved. | TheUsaHerald by Coltecom.